Friday, May 20, 2011

Living in Paradise-And the School Year is Almost Over!!


This is a sunset on the west coast of Florida! It's as beautiful here in the evening as it is during the day. I have been enjoying the weather here (as much as I can!) since August of last year. Making travel plans the evening before flying down to accept a teaching position has been one of the most adventuresome things I have ever done. But wait! Teaching third grade this year has been like an adventure.

Teaching has been my dream. Giving students the background needed to become the best person they can be, thrive as a learner, and succeed in life brings joy to them and to me as their teacher. When I arrived here in Florida, my new chapter in life started with great people and great things happening. Thank you Mary for giving me a comfortable place to stay for the first few days. When I walked into the school I was welcomed by wonderful people and felt completely at home. I was blown over by the offer to stay at a team member's house and took Rosemarie up on her offer until I found a place of my own.
While I have been busy with my first year teaching, it has been great that family and friends have taken the time to come visit. It forced me to take some well needed breaks. I have enjoyed many days and evenings with Angelo, Phil, Bryan, Paula and Doug soaking in the sun and watching gorgeous sunsets from the beaches on the gulf. I have had the opportunity to garden in the sun-- sweating up a storm. Actually Angelo and my neighbor are the best when it comes to getting a lot done outside. We have made a BIG difference in the curb appeal since we moved in last November.
I am so blessed to have come to a new area and have settled in so well. I am grateful for all the help I have had, the family and friends who have visited and for a wonderful school year. To celebrate let's toast the end of the first year, to great weather and to great company with a great glass of Cupcake Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc and a Gluten Free Roasted Tomato and Artichoke Pizza.

Gluten-Free Roasted Tomato and Artichoke Pizza

6 oz crumbled goat cheese
Roasted red pepper, sliced
12 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/3 cup chopped black olives
Olive oil
Corn meal
Sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Make crust according to package directions. Package makes 2 pizzas, so wrap one and refrigerate to use for later, or freeze. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread a thin layer of corn meal on a pizza stone. Using wet hands spread dough onto the stone. Bake without toppings for 7-9 minutes.
Remove from oven and cover with spread, salt and pepper, roasted peppers, artichokes, goat cheese and olives. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Enjoy!!
Experiment and change up the toppings on the next one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment